Ngor Monastery or Ngor Éwam Chöden was founded by Ngorchen Kunga Zangpo in 1429. The first Ngor Monastery is located in the Ü-Tsang province of Tibet about 12 miles southwest of Shigatse. His Eminence Luding Khenchen Rinpoche, the 75th abbot of Ngor Monastery and present head of Ngor, re-established Ngor Monastery in Manduwala, India in 1978.
Ngor Monastery consists of four Ngor Houses (Ladrangs), namely Luding, Khangsar, Thartse, and Phende. The four Ladrangs traditionally share abbotship and collectively lead the monastery’s spiritual and administrative activities.